Because your parents still don’t know how technology works.
So, either you or a family member have received an Amazon Echo for the holidays, then? Well, good for you! Hopefully, Alexa will be a benefit to your daily life. But before she can start doing that, you gotta set that sucker up. Don’t worry, it’s easy.
- Download the Alexa app. You’ll need the Alexa app downloaded to either an iPhone or Android to actually manage any of your Echo’s settings, so go ahead and download that. It’s free!
- Pair the app with the Echo. Stand near the Echo, open the app, then tap “Devices” and “Add Device.”
- Connect to Wi-Fi. Using the app, connect the Echo to your home wi-fi signal. When it’s connected, Alexa will announce as such.
- Set the Echo’s location. Okay, this part’s important. First, set in the app what room in your house the Echo will be located in. Then, set your home address. Alexa will need this to give you relevant info like the traffic and weather.
Okay, you’re set! Now you can start requesting stuff of Alexa. This is good for an initial startup, but if you’re interested, you can use the Alexa app to connect to other features, including (but not limited to):
- Email and calendar reminders
- News headlines
- Music streaming
- Voice purchasing
The more you use the Echo, the more Alexa will learn your voice. You can set up a voice profile on the app so she’ll always know who’s talking.